lunes, 8 de agosto de 2011

London riots: Violence erupts for third day

Community activist Sharon Grant: "Stay off the streets... enough is enough" 
Riot police have again been deployed to the streets of London as violence broke out for a third day.
There have been skirmishes between police and rioters in Hackney, Peckham and Lewisham.
It follows two nights of violence over the weekend following the police shooting of a man in Tottenham.
London's mayor Boris Johnson is cutting short his holiday to return to the capital as more than 200 people have been arrested and 35 officers injured.
Home Secretary Theresa May also returned early from holiday to meet Acting Metropolitan Police (Met) Commissioner Tim Godwin and other senior officers.
'Totally unacceptable' Deputy Assistant Commissioner Stephen Kavanagh said they discussed the police response to the violence.
He said: "They were looking at preparations for tonight to make sure any violence is dealt with quickly."
In response to the violence Mrs May said: "The riots in Tottenham on Saturday night and the subsequent disturbances in other parts of London are totally unacceptable."
She paid tribute to the bravery of police officers and urged local communities "to work constructively with the police to help them bring these criminals to justice".
She said at least 215 people have been arrested and 25 people charged following the violence.

At the scene

Here at Hackney Central the mood is extremely tense.
A line of riot police is confronting people, some of them masked. Police helicopters are flying low overhead.
Some of the youths tried to rush the police line, they were throwing rocks. The police pushed back, sending the crowds running down Mare Street.
I saw some of the rioters pulling at the metal shutter of a shop which had closed early.
Traffic is backed up, buses are stopped, most of them are empty. Some buses have been hit by stones.
A peaceful protest in Tottenham on Saturday over the fatal shooting by police of Mark Duggan, 29, was followed by violence which spread into Sunday.
A candlelit vigil is due to be held at The High Cross in Tottenham, between 19:00 and 20:00 BST.
A spokesman for Mr Johnson said the mayor would be "back in London tomorrow lunchtime".
A BBC journalist said the latest violence started in Mare Street, Hackney, when a man was stopped and searched by police but nothing was found.
About eight riot vans have been drafted in and there are up to 200 police officers in riot gear in the Hackney area.
Groups of people began attacking the police at about 16:20 BST, throwing rocks and a bin at officers.
Police cars were also being smashed by youths, who were armed with wooden poles and metal bars.
'Significant resources' Looters also smashed their way into shops, including a JD sports store, before police lines dispersed the group.
Planks of wood taken from a lorry were then hurled towards riot officers.
Trains are not stopping at Hackney Central and buses are being diverted from the area.
Violence has broken out in Peckham High Street with rioters smashing shop windows and attacking buses.
There are reports of similar scenes in nearby Lewisham.
Deputy Assistant Commissioner Stephen Kavanagh said there were "significant resources" on the streets, with a third more officers on duty than on Sunday.
He said: "What we can see is that the Metropolitan Police are getting police officers there in numbers.
"When we have large numbers of criminals intent on that type of violence, we can only do that, get lots of officers there quickly and try to protect local businesses and local people."

No hay comentarios: